Architecture and interior design are two forms of art that are easy to take for granted. We’re surrounded by buildings every day, and they all become like white noise to us after a while. Unless you are an architect or a designer yourself, you probably don’t pay too close attention to what the ceilings or columns look like in every new building you enter. Occasionally, however, a ceiling will come along that simply can’t be ignored. Whether it’s an ancient building steeped in history or a modern building bursting with creativity, some ceilings end up being cooler than the rest of the structure combined.
These pictures show off some of the most visually stunning ceilings from around the world. It’s a shame that works of art this good are only on the ceiling, considering many people have probably passed them by without realizing it over the years. From hotels in New York and Las Vegas to mosques in Iran, there’s no corner of the globe that this list doesn’t touch. And don’t think these are all recent examples, either. The last example on our list was built in 20 BC!
1. Bellagio Hotel (Las Vegas, Nevada)
2. Metro Station (Naples, Italy)
3. Nasir ol Molk Mosque (Shiraz, Iran)
4. Abbey Library of Saint Gall (St. Gallen, Switzerland)
5. The Human Rights and Alliance of Civilizations Room (Geneva, Switzerland)
6. Gramercy Park Hotel (NYC, New York)
7. Mengjia Longshan Temple (Lukang, Taiwan)
8. The Temple Church (London, England)
9. The Hall of Ambassadors (Granada, Spain)
10. Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico (Mexico City, Mexico)
11. Salon Urbain (Montreal, Canada)
12. The Maison Carrée (Nimes, France)
Don’t forget to SHARE these beautiful ceilings with your friends and family!